The authors and editors retract this publication  following an investigation into concerns around the data presented in several figures that were brought to the editors’ attention.
After the publication of the article, concerns were raised about Figures 2,4, 5 and 6. The authors stated that the wrong blots were included in several of the published figures and that the p-JNK blots in Figure 4B were inadvertently duplicated from a figure in an earlier publication. A Correction  was issued to address the errors identified. Following the publication of the Correction, additional concerns were raised regarding figures included in the original article and in the Correction. Upon follow up with the authors, the editors remain concerned about the following panels in Figure 2:
- Figure 2D - B-actin: This panel duplicates the B-actin panel in Figure 2A.
- Figure 2F- B-actin: The first band from the original blot for this figure was not included in the published panel.
- Figure 2I - B-actin: Upon evaluation of the raw blot supplied by the author, the editors are concerned that the evidence supplied does not support the results reported in this figure.
An institutional inquiry has been undertaken at the University of Campinas (UNICAMP) in São Paulo, Brazil and while the investigation acknowledged errors in the preparation of the figures, they did not find evidence of research misconduct. However, the preparation of the figures falls below the standard of publication and therefore the authors and the editors have agreed that the correct action is to retract the article. The authors apologize to the scientific community and will seek to publish a corrected manuscript version corroborating the findings of this work.
- 1. Calisto KL, Carvalho BdM, Ropelle ER, Mittestainer FC, Camacho ACA, Guadagnini D, et al. (2010) Atorvastatin Improves Survival in Septic Rats: Effect on Tissue Inflammatory Pathway and on Insulin Signaling. PLoS ONE 5(12): e14232. pmid:21151908
- 2. The PLOS ONE Staff (2015) Correction: Atorvastatin Improves Survival in Septic Rats: Effect on Tissue Inflammatory Pathway and on Insulin Signaling. PLoS ONE 10(3): e0118383. pmid:25734918
Citation: Calisto KL, Carvalho BdM, Ropelle ER, Mittestainer FC, Camacho ACA, Guadagnini D, et al. (2016) Retraction: Atorvastatin Improves Survival in Septic Rats: Effect on Tissue Inflammatory Pathway and on Insulin Signaling. PLoS ONE 11(7): e0159283. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0159283
Published: July 8, 2016
Copyright: © 2016 Calisto et al. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.