Following the publication of this article , concerns were raised regarding results presented in Figs 2, 4, 8, 9, 12, 13, and 14. Specifically,
- The following results appear similar:
- ○ Fig 4 left β-actin panel lanes 3 and 5, Fig 4 right β-actin panel lanes 3 and 5, and Fig 4 bottom β-actin panel lanes 1, 2, and 3.
- ○ Fig 4 left β-actin panel lane 4, and Fig 4 right β-actin panel lanes 2 and 4.
- ○ Fig 8 ACAT-2 panel lanes 2 and 4.
- ○ Fig 9 β-actin panel lanes 1 and 5
- ○ Fig 13A RXRα panel lanes 2 and 5.
- ○ Figs 13A, 13B, 13C, 13D, 14B, and 14D GAPDH panels
- ○ Fig 13B RXRβ panel lanes 1 and 4.
- ○ Fig 13C LXRα panel lane 5 and Fig 13D LXRβ panel lane 1.
- ○ Fig 14A PPARα lanes 1–2 and Fig 14C PPARγ lanes 4–5.
- ○ Fig 14A and Fig 14C GAPDH panels.
- ○ Fig 14B PPARβ panel lanes 2 and 5.
- ○ Fig 14D SREBP2 panel lanes 1 and 4.
- When levels are adjusted to visualize background, there appear to be vertical irregularities suggestive of splice lines in:
- ○ Fig 2 NPY1R panel, between all lanes
- ○ Fig 4 NPC1L1 panel, between lanes 2–3 and lanes 3–4.
- ○ Fig 4 CD36 panel, between lanes 3–4.
- ○ Fig 12 MTP panel, between lanes 3–4.
- ○ Fig 13C LXRα panel, between lanes 4–5.
- ○ Fig 14C PPARγ panel, between lanes 2–3.
- ○ Fig 14D SREBP2 panel, between lanes 2–3.
The corresponding author states that the similarity between proteins is due to the stripping and re-probing of the same blot, and clarifies that some blots were spliced to remove extra lanes and/or duplicate or triplicate samples from the panel. The underlying data for the figures or concern are no longer available.
In light of the concerns affecting multiple figure panels that question the integrity of these data, the PLOS ONE Editors retract this article.
EG, CG and ED either did not respond directly or could not be reached. EL did not agree with the retraction.
- 1. Grenier E, Garofalo C, Delvin E, Levy E (2012) Modulatory Role of PYY in Transport and Metabolism of Cholesterol in Intestinal Epithelial Cells. PLoS ONE 7(7): e40992. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0040992 pmid:22844422
Citation: The PLOS ONE Editors (2022) Retraction: Modulatory Role of PYY in Transport and Metabolism of Cholesterol in Intestinal Epithelial Cells. PLoS ONE 17(4): e0267059. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0267059
Published: April 14, 2022
Copyright: © 2022 The PLOS ONE Editors. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.